Tuesday, October 14, 2008

You Run?


One of the greatest dialogues ever spontaneously spoken occurred between my cousin Staci and me. Several months ago, I headed with Staci and her two children to San Diego to relax on the beach and frolic in the California sun. In preparation for this trip, I purchased a running skort that I planned on using as a swimsuit cover up. This basically consisted of lycra shorts with an attached short skirt on top of it. It is intended for running, but I loved it for a cover up because it was longer than traditional swim skirts and I really liked that it had the shorts built in. On the drive out to California, I told Staci about my new find and she thought it sounded perfect. So on a short pit-stop at Target to let the kids out of the car for awhile, she purchased her own pair.

Later, while at the beach, I got out my skort and was putting it on when I declared, "I've decided that I am going to actually wear these for running." Staci got excited about this statement and proclaimed, "I was thinking the SAME THING!" She then went on to recite all of the reasons why she thought this skort would be perfect for running in. As she went down her list, my eyes got wide with excitement, "You run?" I questioned. She cast her eyes downward to the sand and said ashamed, "No." My eyes followed hers downward as I sighed, "Yeah, me neither."

We instantly burst out laughing and Staci spewed blue Powerade all over the beach as we realized how ridiculous we were.

We might not run, but if we ever did, we know what we'll be wearing. . . .

Well, recently I have got out that skort and started running. Well more accurately jog-walking. It started because a massage client of mine has been coming in weekly in preparation for a marathon that she is going to run. Many moons ago, before my mission, I ran almost every day and really wanted to try and run a marathon. It never happened but it is on my life list of things I want to do. Well, this client inspired me and I realized that there is no reason why I can't start running and train for a marathon now. I have been taking it slow, but my goal is to be able to run the ½ marathon in Tempe in January and maybe run a full one sometime next year. It is a lofty goal, but I know that I am capable of it.

And I am proud to report, that the skort is just as perfect for running as we predicted it would be.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE the running skort...I want one! Thanks for the comment on my blog...you are so sweet. I never kept a journal until blogger and now I am diligent in recording EVERYTHING that goes on around here...I have been a little obsessed with it. I printed my first blog book recently...224 pages of my blog posts and pictures from the past year. It is so fun to look at with my kids.

Lewis Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lewis Family said...

Well you made me do it. I had to look up 'skort' in Merriam-Webster.

The combination of a skirt and shorts...and they've been around since 1951. Who knew?!

lewis link said...

Hey lady...so who got deleted??? I better behave :) Been thinking about you guys a lot...when are you coming to Cali....Thanksgiving

Kiera said...

HAHAA I have heard that story so many times, but still crack up everytime I picture that convo! You and Staci are so funny!! It is a really cute little contraption! Looks perfect for running..and swimming! That's awesome about the marathon, I hate running but I would LOVE to try to get into it! Training for a marathon would be an awesome goal, cuz then it makes you wanna run for a reason, by a certain time!

Staci Kramer said...

I will always be your partner in procrastination. I ws thinking about how funny it was to worry about the fashion of running more than the actual running and I realized that we didnt even need those skorts for the beach...like we were going to actually swim in the ocean!?! We did look good though, there on the beach, wearing our skorts.

Lisa said...

Jenny, Your husband deleted his own comment. Apparently he made a typo. Such a perfectionist. haha.